Massey Theatre Society was established in 1983 as a venue based arts organization. The Society operates two theatres and a 35,000 square foot arts complex formerly components of New Westminster Secondary School. The historic Massey Theatre (est. 1949) is a 1,260 seat proscenium theatre within the complex at the corner of Eighth and Eighth in uptown New Westminster.
POSITION TITLE: Eighth & Eight Event Coordinator
The position of Eighth and Eight Event Coordinator will play a key role in activating our facility and carrying out a weekly special event series on Saturdays. They will work closely with Booking, Operations and Programming teams for Massey Theatre Society in activating the expanded facilities. Day to day work will be to identify and coordinate logistics, resource allocation, applicable revenue generating activities and relationship development required for an array of activities. The opportunity also includes the exciting opportunity to fully activate the facility, users and community through regular planning and coordination of the new Saturday program.
The ideal candidate has event coordination experience, administrative abilities, entrepreneurial verve, some production experience and advanced social skills allowing them to work with many distinct creators. This is an eighteen-month position with possible renewal depending on the success of the events.
The candidate will be familiar with New Westminster. They should know their way around several artistic and / or entrepreneurial sectors. They will bring experience working with diverse communities and have an insatiable curiosity to find out what is happening in New West and beyond and a passion to contribute to and share it with the public. They will have an entrepreneurial spirit as well as an artistic eye.
The successful candidate will work with a highly skilled senior staff including the Performing Arts Programming Director, Marketing and Communications Director, Administrative and Operational Director, Indigenous Cultural Development Director, Technical Department and Guest Services heads. They will report to the Executive Director. The position will:
• Work with facilities and programming team to coordinate implementation of Cultural Programming, Rentals & Special Events which take place throughout the spaces in and outside Eighth and Eight Creative Spaces complex. Duties include: liaising with internal and external activity organizers and staff teams, procurement of supplies and equipment, site set-up and strike, and administrative support. The incumbent will help ensure that all events meet the specified objectives and take place in accordance with planned schedules and budgets.
• Perform administrative duties associated with producing the events, such as procurement, filing, preparing rental, vendor and performer agreements for approval and execution, and coordination. The Coordinator’s work schedule will reflect the priority of being on-site for key events and will therefore require a flexible work week that includes weekends and shift work.
• Work in a team environment to develop new programming and business activities that enhance the activity and vision of Eighth and Eight Creative Spaces creating opportunities for the public to experience arts and culture, social and business activities year-round, both daytime and evenings.
• Communicate with all staff, tenants, security, traffic control and event participants to provide event information and ensure smooth execution.
• Provide reasonable physical production support when necessary, setting up and striking event materials such as tents & tables, building décor, installing signage, etc.
• Negotiate fees, commissions, and other financial details with users, vendors and event collaborators
• Work with leadership staff to engage the public, develop and promote new activations in the space
• This position typically operates in an office environment as well as on site during some events.
• Hours of work: Full time, 37.5 hours per week.
• Because the job entails presence at events evening and weekend work is required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED
• Demonstrated experience in event coordination, the arts or a related sector.
• Proven track record of successful project management and community activation.
• Superior planning skills.
• Strong collaborative decision making abilities.
• Exceptional and inspiring communications skills, both written and oral.
• Strong skills as a mediator and negotiator.
• Proven entrepreneurial and financial management skills.
• A passion and commitment to culture and its value to society.
Strong software skills including with CRM and event management softwares are a requirement
REMUNERATION- $55,000 per year plus a comprehensive benefits package
• Six month probationary period
• Benefits – Extended Health, Dental, LTD, Life Insurance, Matching 3% RRSP contribution
• Vacation – starting with 3 weeks, after 5 years 4 weeks
COMMITMENT TO EQUITY AND INCLUSION
Eighth and Eight / Massey Theatre Society exists and operates on the unceded traditional territories of Hul’qumi’num speaking Coast Salish peoples of Qayqayt, Musqueam, Kwantlen, Kwikwetlem and Katzie. We are committed to providing access to the space to those peoples and to contributing to their efforts toward cultural resurgence through our work. Consultation and direct employment of Indigenous people is a priority in these and other efforts. The Society is influenced by, and of service to, a broad range of communities, world views, ways of working and lived experiences. With conscious intention we are seeking a candidate whose identity may not have been equitably included in our organization, or the professional artistic sector historically. We encourage applicants to articulate their personal connections and perspectives, in relation to systemic barriers, so that we may advance creating a more equitable and inclusive workplace.
Applicants are required to submit a professional resume and a maximum one page letter expressing their interest. Candidates should describe their related skills, experience and special qualities and characteristics that will add to the selection committee’s understanding of their qualifications. References may be submitted at the time of application, or it is acceptable that they be added upon request.
Executive Director –Jessica Schneider, and associates will identify candidates to be interviewed.
We will endeavour to complete shortly thereafter. The position will start as soon as possible.
Application Deadline: April 15, 2022 at midnight
Submit Applications via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org